FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How old do I have to be to hire a vehicle?
You must be 25 years or over to drive all our vehicles with the exception of our executive range of cars when you must be 30 years or over. If you are over 70 years we may need further information from you and get permission from our insurance company in order to process your hire.
2. What documents will you need to see when I hire a vehicle?
You will need to provide your full UK driving licence, either photo card or old paper style licence. If you only have the old paper style licence we will also need to see another form of photo ID. We will also need your National Insurance Number in order to complete a DVLA check on line. Also one other form of ID such as a utility bill.
3. I have a foreign licence. Can I still hire from you?
Yes. But it does depend on the country your licence has been issued in. If you hold a license issued in the EU, USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand we can accept your hire as long as all other criteria detailed within these pages are fulfilled. If you hold a foreign licence from any other country we will need to refer your licence to our insurers, and therefore we will need to see and verify the licence prior to accepting your booking. This can only be done within standard office hours Monday – Friday so it would be advisable to provide as much notice as possible prior to hire to allow for this administration to take place.
Regardless of which country your foreign licence is issued we will need to see this licence together with your passport and another form of ID. We will need confirmation of your home address, if visiting the UK, as well as the address you are staying at in the UK. If you reside in the UK you can only use your foreign licence for 12 months before you must apply for a UK licence.
4. I have points on my licence. Can I still hire from you?
This is dependent on the date and nature of the offence(s). Please contact a member of our rental team who will be happy to advise.
5. Can I drive a minibus on my licence?
Yes. As long as you have a class D1 on your driving licence and you are not driving for hire or reward. DVLA also allows drivers, for occasional use to drive (private use only), providing the vehicle does not exceed 3.5 tonne.
6. Can I take the vehicle abroad?
No. We currently do not allow our vehicles to travel abroad.
7. How can I make a booking?
8. When do I need to make payment?
Full payment for your hire period is taken at the point of booking. Should you wish to extend your original booking you must contact us in advance of your scheduled return time and pay the additional hire charges in advance of the extension of hire commencing.
9. What payment methods are acceptable?
We accept credit/debit cards with the exception of AMEX. We also accept BACS payments for the hire but all deposit payments must be made by credit or debit card.
10. How much is the deposit?
The deposit payments start at £200 and increases to £750 depending on the vehicle type hired. This is refunded when the vehicle is returned. This may take between 3-5 days. This is taken from a credit or debit card at the time of collection and refunded on return of the vehicle.
11. How much is the insurance excess?
- Our excess is £500.00 for Category 1 & 2 cars.
- Our excess is £600.00 for Light, SWB & MWB Vans.
- Our excess is £750.00 for Category 3 cars, LWB Transit Vans & 4×4 pick up trucks.
- Our excess is £950.00 for executive cars, 7 and 9 seater cars & tipper trucks.
- Our excess is £1,100.00 for minibuses & 3.5T Lutons.
12. Can I take out CDW to reduce my excess?
Yes. We offer CDW as follows:
- Reduce the excess from £500.00 to £200.00 for Category 1 & 2 cars from £10.00 per day or £70.00 per week.
- Reduce the excess from £600.00 to £300.00 for Light, SWB and MWB vans from £11.50 per day or £80.50 per week.
- Reduce the excess from £750.00 to £350.00 for Category 3 cars, LWB Transit Vans & 4×4 pick up trucks from £13.00 per day or £91.00 per week
- Reduce the excess from £950.00 to £500.00 for executive cars, 7 and 9 seater cars and tippers from £16.00 per day or £112.00 per week.
- Reduce the excess from £1100.00 to £750.00 for minibuses & 3.5T Lutons from £20.00 per day or £140.00 per week.
12. Can I add another driver to my Hire Agreement?
Yes. You can add an additional driver. The additional driver will need to provide the same information/documentation as the main hirer to hire the vehicle, and meet our driver criteria. Charges will apply. Please contact a member of our rental team for further information.
13. What is included in my price?
Unless you have specified extras to us your basic quote will include VAT, insurance cover for one driver, breakdown cover within the UK and 200 miles allowance per 24 hour hire period. Additional mileage will be calculated at 0.12p per mile.
14. Do you deliver and collect to my location?
Yes. We offer a delivery and collection service subject to availability within a 10 mile radius of our location. A charge of £7.50 is payable for either collection or delivery.
15. Where do I collect my vehicle from?
16. Can I leave my car at your premises?
You may not leave your vehicle at our premises but there is on road parking in the vicinity. Leaving your vehicle is entirely at your own risk.
17. Can I open an Account with Newbury Vehicle Hire Ltd?
Yes. We do offer business customers an account facility. You would need to apply for an account and receive approval prior to receiving Account Customer benefits. Please contact a member of our rental team for more information or alternatively complete an Account Customer Application Fom and email to firstname.lastname@example.org